List of Cities in Oakland County:
- Auburn Hills
- Bloomfield Hills
- Farmington Hills
- Hazel Park
- Huntington Woods
- Keego Harbor
- Lake Angelus
- Lathrup Village
- Madison Heights
- Oak Park
- Orchard Lake Village
- Pleasant Ridge
- Rochester Hills
- Royal Oak
- South Lyon
- Sylvan Lake
- Walled Lake
Programs from Oakland County
Oakland County established the first County-level Main Street program in the U.S. in February 2000.
Main Street Oakland County (MSOC) is housed within the Planning Group of the Planning & Economic Development Services Division of Oakland County's Department of Community & Economic Development. Oakland County is now a partner with the National Trust's Main Street Center and contracts with them for services to the County and local communities.
- Empowers Oakland County's traditional downtowns to establish and/or maintain successful, comprehensive, ongoing revitalization programs
- Builds a greater awareness of the economic and quality of life importance of revitalizing and maintaining the County's historic commercial districts
- Provides the stakeholders of Oakland County's traditional downtowns with technical assistance and training resources
- Provides information about downtown revitalization to the County's communities, business organizations, and residents
- Assists communities in implementing the "Main Street Four Point Approach" to downtown management in each of the County's traditional downtowns and corridors
- Facilitates networking and communication between communities about downtown revitalization
- Provides information about County business finance programs and other economic development resources to existing downtown businesses and to those considering downtown locations
- Monitors and measures progress and success in local downtown revitalization efforts
- Assists each of the 30 traditional downtowns and town centers in the County to help them realize their full economic development potential while preserving their sense of place.
MSOC is currently working with 12 downtowns in Oakland County. These communities were selected after a detailed application process where they demonstrated their readiness and commitment to participating in the National Trust Main Street program.
Government in Oakland County
The county government operates the jail, operates the major local courts, keeps files of deeds and mortgages, maintains vital records, administers public health regulations, and participates with the state in the provision of welfare and other social services. The county board of commissioners controls the budget but has only limited authority to make laws or ordinances. In Michigan, most local government functions — police and fire, building and zoning, tax assessment, street maintenance, etc. — are the responsibility of individual cities and townships. However Oakland County operates a Police force that is used throughout the county. Several cities do not have personalized police forces, but rather separate branches of the County Police have been set up for these regions. For instance, the City of Rochester Hills does not have a "Rochester Hills Police Department" but instead simply has cars marked Oakland County police. That branch operates as the Oakland County Police Department of Rochester Hills.
Roads that are not maintained by a local community (city/village) are maintained by the Road Commission for Oakland County, which is governed by three board members appointed by the Oakland County Board of Commissioners.
Oakland County Elected Officials
- County Executive: L. Brooks Patterson (Republican)
- Prosecuting Attorney: David Gorcyca (Republican)
- Sheriff: Michael J. Bouchard (Republican)
- County Clerk/Register of Deeds: Ruth Johnson (Republican)
- County Treasurer: Patrick M. Dohany (Republican)
- Drain Commissioner: John P. McCulloch (Republican)
- Board of Commissioners: 25 members, elected from districts (13 Republicans, 12 Democrats)
Call me, discuss my fee, and let me assess your case today. You can call me direct on (877) OWI-LAWS or my cell at (248) 752-5663 or you can complete the free online case review and I'll contact you.